Saturday 26 April 2014

Shelter




Shelter is an arty survival video game developed by Might and Delight for Windows and Mac.
Playing as a mother badger, players have to guide a litter of cubs through a beautiful if dangerous forest, keeping them fed and safe from predators. Only the fittest survive out in the wilderness, and even if you manage to ward off the bird of prey and beasts of the forest, you can't hide from the constant threat of starvation and the brutality of nature itself. That's all wrapped up in an angular stylised world, accompanied by calm but gently menacing music. 


Shelter’s main objective is to evoke an emotional response in its players. Looking at the screenshots, you'll doubtlessly expect to quickly fall in unconditional love with your adorable little badger bundles of joy. The truth, however, is somewhat more nuanced than that. Though I always took great pains to keep my litter fed and safe, I often resented them for holding me back from exploring at my own pace. I became angry at the larger cubs for muscling in and stealing food meant for their siblings, yet disappointed that the runts couldn't fend for themselves properly. Sometimes I just wanted to leave them and strike out on my own, but always rushed back to protect and guide them any time I thought they might be in danger. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you can form as strong an attachment to virtual papercraft badgers, but Shelter succeeds because it evokes strong conflicting emotions as you struggle to survive, and your love for your litter is stretched by the grim reality of the great outdoors.
After playing Shelter, my first idea was to develop a character that resembled a badger that would live in a survival-orientated environment, although fending for itself rather than in a group.